Making New Disciples
The purpose for any new church plant is to make new disciples who will reproduce other disciples.
Supporting Church Planters
The priority of Discover Church Planting is to identify, prepare and send church planters. It is not our primary intention to plant churches as an organization, but to prepare planters who engage a community so that new churches emerge.
Urgency of the Need
We must continually put forward the urgency for church planting in geographical, ethnic and cultural areas that inspires potential mother churches and planters.
Multiple Models, One Church
We recognize there is not a cookie cutter approach to “church”, but in order to engage the continuing support of the Discover Church Planting it must meet these minimum requirements:
- The primary mission is to make disciples for Jesus Christ
- There will ultimately be, at a minimum, weekly planned and scheduled gatherings that meet for the expressed purpose of making disciples for Jesus Christ, centered around the Word of God.
- There is qualified, called and recognized leadership who guides the vision and direction of the church.
- They participate regularly in the sacraments of communion and baptism.
- They have consistent adherents who are committed to the mission and who show it through their regular participation and financial contribution.
- They meet the legal requirements of the by-laws of the Pacific Planting Network and of the state in which they operate.
The Indigenous Church
Our goal is for every church plant to become indigenous, which will be indicated by its ability to be self-governing, self-propagating and self-supporting.
We believe that the best support model for church planting is the mother church model. We will encourage this model and we will provide supplemental support to mother churches. It is our goal to have every church plant covered by either a mother church or a resource church.